Our playground shelters enable schools to make the most of their outside space and provide their pupils with a sheltered and comfortable area in which to learn and play. Learning Outside the Classroom (LOtC) is regarded as an important initiative by Ofsted as it has been shown to help improve education standards and facilitate the personal and emotional growth of pupils. Our bespoke playground shelters enable schools to embrace LOtC by creating a comfortable outdoor space for pupils and teachers to enjoy.
The Benefits of Playground Shelters
Our high-quality, made-to-measure polycarbonate playground shelters provide:
- schools with the opportunity to create comfortable outdoor areas for pupils to learn and play, no matter what the weather;
- children and teachers with an easy way to move inside and outside without getting wet or being exposed to the elements; and
- teachers with necessary facilities to teach children outside and meet the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage: Themes and Commitments, Enabling Environments, The Learning Environment.
Why Learning Outside the Classroom is So Important
Ofsted has produced a number of reports and documents demonstrating the importance of LOtC, and to help schools facilitate and develop LOtC opportunities for their pupils. A key document is the report Learning Outside the Classroom: How Far Should You Go?. This report examines LOtC in practice and highlights which schools and educational establishments are doing well and where there is room for improvement.
Key findings of the report include:
- When planned and implemented well, learning outside the classroom contributed significantly to raising standards and improving pupils’ personal, social and emotional development.
- Learning outside the classroom was most successful when it was an integral element of long-term curriculum planning and closely linked to classroom activities.
- The success of learning outside the classroom depended very much on the leadership of the schools and colleges.
It is clear from the report that Ofsted views LOtC as a key aspect of the education system, but in order to maximise opportunities for outside learning schools are encouraged to provide a safe and comfortable educational environment for their pupils. Our playground canopies and shelters can help them do just that, effectively creating waterproof outdoor classrooms that enable schools to follow Ofsted’s guidelines and embrace outdoor learning.
Playground Shade and Outdoor Covered Play Area Shelters
Bringing young children out into the open to learn and play is an essential part of their development. However, it is equally important to allow pupils to engage in outside activities in a safe environment where their exposure to harmful UV radiation is dramatically reduced. The need to provide UV filtering shelters for school children has been recognised for some years, and Ofsted have recommended that all schools have shaded areas in their playgrounds.
Clovis Canopies have extensive experience of manufacturing and installing playground shelters and covers that are highly effective at shielding pupils from the harmful effects if UV radiation. The playground shelters that we installed at William Shresbury Primary School and John Bramston Primary School not only look fantastic, but provide exceptional protection from harmful UV rays. These canopies are based on our Oxford Barrel and Oxford Lean-To designs respectively, although we are able to provide school playground covers in a range of canopy styles and designs.
Our Playground Shelters and Canopies are Made to Measure
Quality and flexibility are the hallmarks of Clovis Canopies. Each shelter or canopy is individually made to suit the site in question and can be tailored to your specific requirements. We are therefore not restricted to standard module sizes and can fit the structure to the space available maximising the covered area for the funds available. We have many satisfied customers and install hundreds of our canopies in schools and colleges throughout the UK each year.
As well as playground shelters, we also design and install school entrance canopies, covered walkways, covered dining areas and canopies for student recreational areas. For more information on all of the canopies, shelters and covers that we provide for schools, please view our school canopies page.